[zorp] Re: Difficulty in running Zorp

Balazs Scheidler zorp@lists.balabit.hu
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:41:03 +0100

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:43:10PM -0800, Elwin Eliazer wrote:
> I have completed various steps in getting Zorp, tproxy, iptables, etc build,
> in my desktop PC running RedHat Linux 9, with 2.4.22 kernel.
> All the steps towards building and installation, went fine, after a few
> iterations of getting things fixed.
>
> Now, i tried starting Zorp, as follows, after editing the policy.py and
> instances.conf file appropriately.
>
> # zorpctl start inter
> Starting Zorp Firewall suite: inter
>
> After doing the above, however, Zorp did not get started. I am getting the
> following:
>
> # zorpctl status inter
> Instance inter: not running.
>
> Is there an easy way for me to figure out what went wrong in my setup?
> Your help will be appreciated.

You should always check your system logs for problems first, alternatively you
can also run zorp from the command line instructing it to send all messages
to stdout instead of the system log:

/usr/lib/zorp/zorp --as <instance> -l -T

Your installation might reside under /usr/local, in which case change
the path to your zorp binary accordingly.

Probably your policy file has a syntax error.