[syslog-ng] How to ensure that only my hosts log to my syslog server?

SZIGETVÁRI János jszigetvari at gmail.com
Fri May 29 16:55:34 UTC 2020

Dear Evan,

AFAIK when TLS is configured, syslog-ng behaves differently, depending on
whether we are talking about a source or a destination.
A destination will perform subject CN checking to verify whether the server
is who it claims to be.
In case of a source however no CN checking is performed, only the validity
of the certificate and the certificate chain is checked, depending on the
peer-verify() option.

Despite this, it is possible to define a list for the option trusted-dn()
and/or trusted-keys() so that the source will only accept connections from
clients with the specified certificate parameters (Distinguished Name -
trusted-dn(), SHA-1 fingerprint - trusted-keys()).

Best Regards,
János
--
Janos SZIGETVARI
RHCE, License no. 150-053-692

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/janosszigetvari
Make the switch to open (source) applications, protocols, formats now:
- windows -> Linux, iexplore -> Firefox, msoffice -> LibreOffice
- msn -> jabber protocol (Pidgin, Google Talk)
- mp3 -> ogg, wmv -> ogg, jpg -> png, doc/xls/ppt -> odt/ods/odp