[syslog-ng] RFC: incubator is to be discontinued

Balazs Scheidler bazsi77 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 08:20:43 UTC 2017

Thanks for the feedback.

On Aug 2, 2017 21:42, "Czanik, Péter" <peter.czanik at balabit.com> wrote:

Hi,

As far as I can see, the kafka-c module is definitely in active use. I
added Pyr -- the original author of the kafka module -- on CC.

In addition I see once in a while that people are asking about grok and
zmq. On the other hand I'm not sure how much functional these modules are
(AFAIR the the source part of the ZMQ module was never really finished) and
the grok module builds on a C library which is not actively maintained for
many years.

I don't recall people mentioning any of the other modules recently.

Bye,

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
Balabit / syslog-ng upstream
https://www.balabit.com/blog/author/peterczanik/
https://twitter.com/PCzanik

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Scheidler, Balázs <
balazs.scheidler at balabit.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We had a discussion with our Debian maintainer about the fate of
> syslog-ng-incubator. For those of you who don't know, it is a set of
> syslog-ng modules not integrated to syslog-ng master for one reason or
> another.
>
> It is available from here:
>
> https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng-incubator
>
> The problem with this repository is that it is not really maintained,
> causing compilation and functionality issues down the line.
>
> So our opinion is to go ahead and integrate stuff that can be brough up to
> speed. Once we've done what we could, we would discontinue the incubator
> altogether.
>
> Please speak up now, if you disagree, but please also be ready to help us
> out in maintenance in that case.
>
> If there are no disagreements in the following week, we would start to
> phasing out the incubator.
>
> We welcome volunteers to:
>
> 1) migrate code, OR
> 2) help with testing
>
> If you are the user of any of those plugins, letting us know at this point
> also helps making sure that no functionality is lost.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Bazsi

> syslog-ng