[syslog-ng] GSoC 2015: syslog-ng as a command line tool

Máté Eckl ecklm94 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 08:37:30 CET 2015

Hello,

I'm Máté Eckl and I study IT engineering at the BME (I'm in my second
semester). I studied C in the first semester, but I had prior experience
with it. I also have experience on different programming languages, basics
of networking (eg.: building a secondary DNS server for the college this
spring), I use Linux (Ubuntu and Arch) and I'm familiar with getopt and the
mechanism of command-line arguments.

Earlier this semester I needed to prepare a basic syslog-ng configuration
on a logging server, so I have slight knowledge about the system, but in
the college I have great opportunity to get deeper inside it until the end
of the semester.

I'm really interested in this project, but the functionality is not really
clear for me. What should the log messages be transformed to? Do you mean
it to be a sort of debug session, where you can test the rules you want to
apply in the config files? Or something else? Could you describe it to me a
bit more precisely?

Best regards,
Máté Eckl