[syslog-ng] 2 Log rotate questions.

Scot Needy scotrn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 19:45:14 CET 2014

Thanks Andrew,

Version is 3.5. Maybe it would be clearer this way.

We started to send firewall session data to syslog-ng. The end goal is to track firewall sessions to build/update/audit firewall rules.
So our logs increased, not a big deal, I write to $YEAR$MONTH$DAY.$HOST.log but that produced a few 20Gb firewall logs files that are time consuming to compress and parse.

One admin wants to use log-rotate to move logs over $(SIZE) but that could result in many syslog-ng restarts a day and still involves a lot of post processing.
 I could use an $HOUR macro as well but I that still creates some pretty large files.

NEW approach:

Has anyone used the $MSG parsers to accomplish a similar task in line ?
http://www.balabit.com/sites/default/files/documents/syslog-ng-ose-latest-guides/en/syslog-ng-ose-guide-admin/html/csv-parser.html <http://www.balabit.com/sites/default/files/documents/syslog-ng-ose-latest-guides/en/syslog-ng-ose-guide-admin/html/csv-parser.html>

I don’t need to log every session created just unique hits to the highlighted area of this sample in counter format like the stats output has.    "SrcRule:IP/PORT DstRule:IP/PORT COUNT

Dec 24 11:02:42 192.168.X.X : %FWX_X: Built outbound UDP connection ####### for RuleName:SRCIP/PORT (SRCIP/PORT) to RuleName:DSTIP/PORT (DSTIP/PORT)