[syslog-ng] 2 Log rotate questions.

Jim Hendrick jrhendri at roadrunner.com
Wed Dec 24 22:57:06 CET 2014

We generate a fair number of firewall logs daily and use the $HOUR macro
to store the flat files.

A nightly cron does a "find -mtime -exec gzip {} \;" to keep older filed
zipped and another deletes them after a suitable period.

As far as parsing - how do you parse the logs? For what? Do you process
them in a SIEM or do you use other programs / scripts?

We use multiple destinations to store logs in local files, send logs to
a SIEM, etc.

I'm sure the list can provide lots of (hopefully) useful suggestions.

Jim