[syslog-ng] mojology: syslog-ng and mongodb meet the web

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Sat Jan 8 23:31:46 CET 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 17:16 -0500, Clayton Dukes wrote:
> Hi Gergely,
> Rather than re-invent the wheel (on the presentation layer piece), you
> might be interested in knowing about my project - LogZilla
> (http://www.logzilla.info).

I had a look at logzilla (among others) before starting on mojology, but
decided to hack something up from scratch instead, for a couple of
reasons:

* I wanted something small, which I can cook up within a few nights.
Digging into a bigger codebase like logzilla would've taken a lot longer
than what I could spare at this time.

* I'm a huge fan of the GPL, and whatever I came up with as a demo, I
wanted to have it out under the that license O:)

* On the way to work one day, I came up with the name mojology, and
liked it so much that I just had to use it.

* There's very few things I hate more than PHP, sorry.

> It is free to use for anyone getting < 1million messages a day and
> even then, the full version is free for anyone who joins the team and
> contributes :-)

I had a look at the screenshots, and LogZilla looks very cool, but I
think that the purpose of the two tools are a bit different: LogZilla
appears to be an advanced viewer & reporting application, mojology is a
dumb little interface without bells & whistles.

A bit like MySQL and SQLite, if I may say so (except that mojology is
nowhere near the complexity of sqlite :).