[syslog-ng] openSUSE 3.3beta2 packages, nice article, poll

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Fri Aug 19 12:28:01 CEST 2011

Hello,

I just sent out the syslog-ng newsletter a few days ago, but there are
already fresh news. But first of all: If you got 1 minute, please fill
our syslog-ng performance survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6ZQDVH6

There was a new release of syslog-ng OSE 3.3 last weekend, it's now at
beta2. FreeBSD ports was the first to add support for it, and now here
are the openSUSE packages for testing:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/czanik:/syslog-ng33/ or
if more interested in package sources, then check
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Aczanik%3Asyslog-ng33
where these packages were built.
Systemd support is being reworked in openSUSE, so please stick to
sysvinit (which is the default) when testing these packages. There is
one known problem affecting functionality: mongodb support is broken.
It's already fixed in git, so it will be part of the next release, or if
there is a request for it, I can add the patch to the beta2 package.

I just found a nice introductory article about syslog-ng at Linux
Journal, which describes the basics and also some more interesting
topics and provides good explanations. You can read it at
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/creating-centralized-syslog-server
It was written on Debian, but most information should apply to any Linux
distribution.

Bye,

--
Peter Czanik (CzP) <czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream