[syslog-ng] Store syslog occurrence frequency instead of adding all of them to the DB

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 19:32:40 CEST 2011

My little schema was simply an example, and would need to be merged
with the full logs table.

You surely lose detail when doing de-duplication on non-sequential
logs.  However, I typically find this to be an acceptable trade-off
for most circumstances, but of course situations will vary.  I myself
do no de-duplication because I don't want to lose the forensic value.

Regarding CRC32 vs other hashing functions: 32 bits is certainly very
small and collisions are very possible.  However, in practice, I find
them incredibly rare (much rarer than one would think, given the
existence of far superior hashing algorithms).  The primary advantage
in CRC32 is its incredible speed and small size (fits in an integer),
versus the extremely (comparatively) CPU-intensive and space-consuming
MD5/SHA1 algorithms.  I will put it this way: I recommend using CRC32
because if you have a low enough log volume that you can spare CPU
cycles for calculating MD5/SHA1, then you do not have enough logs to
worry about collisions becoming an issue.

In my production schema (in ELSA), I calculate CRC32 on the program
field and insert a program ID instead of the program name.  This saves
an enormous amount of space.  Queries then query for
program_id=CRC32("program name") instead of program_name="program
name" or even program_id=(select id from programs where
program_name="program name") which is less desirable because you have
to maintain a separate lookup table.

If you are more concerned with 100% query accuracy at great cost to
both performance and storage versus %99.99999999 accuracy but large
cost savings, then I would say you want the less collision-prone
hashing functions.