[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.1.2 - Changing location of syslog-ng.pid file causes problems

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Tue Apr 26 17:26:02 CEST 2011

Zeek Anow <zeekstern at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks alot Gergely!! I really appreciate the response.
>
> I am using the example file and see the OPTIONS variable. The -p
> option is valid, but the -c option does not appear to be. I checked in
> the syslog-ng Open Source Edition 3.1 Administrator Guide and the man
> page. There is a -C for the chroot directory, but I don't think that
> is what you are referring to. Course it is always possible the
> documentation is not updated. Have you used the -c before?

Truth be told, I checked the options on 3.3 (the current development
version), and did not verify that -c exists on 3.1. You're correct
though, that it's not the same as -C: -c would work similarly to -p,
except it'd override the path of the control socket, not that of the
pidfile.

> Also, any thoughts as to why I cannot find the syslog-ng.pid file
> anywhere on the system? All of the startup/shutdown scripts use it and
> syslog-ng is running. This really has me scratching my head:))

The reason you can't find the pidfile is because without -p, syslog-ng
will try to create it at the default location, which does not exist:
thus, creating the pidfile will fail. But that's not a fatal error, so
syslog-ng will continue running.

If -c does not exist in 3.1, then your best bet is either upgrading to
3.2.2 (the latest stable version), or recompiling 3.1 with the
appropriate configure flags (./configure --help should give you enough
hints, I believe), so that the pidfile & the control socket would end up
in the appropriate directories.