[syslog-ng] Linux Distribuitions using Syslog-NG

Renato Gregio grejao at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 10 01:17:57 CET 2010

I made a compact installation of CentOS 5.5.

to change Syslog for Syslog-ng, according to the procedure below:

# service rsyslog stop
# rpm -e --nodeps rsyslog
# yum install syslog-ng
# chkconfig syslog-ng on
# service syslog-ng start

I need to stop service and remove the package rsyslog.

but
i don't have service and package rsyslog:

[root at vmtest init.d]# service rsyslog stop
rsyslog: unrecognized service
[root at vmtest init.d]# rpm -qa | grep syslog
[root at vmtest init.d]#

and I have syslog service

[root at vmtest init.d]# service syslog status
syslogd (pid  3063) is running...
klogd (pid  3066) is running...
[root at vmtest init.d]#

I need to stop and remove any service/package from Syslogd ?
the procedure is correct using EPEL repo?

thanks