[syslog-ng] up to date syslog-ng.conf ?

Matty matty91 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:45:57 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Jean F. Mousinho
<jean.mousinho at ist.utl.pt> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use a compiled version of syslog-ng (3.0.4) tho I'm not
> successful to find a syslog-ng.conf file that cames with that package
> and is up to date. Find reveals several configuration files:
>
> ./debian/syslog-ng.conf
> ./contrib/hpux-packaging/syslog-ng.conf
> ./contrib/rhel-packaging/syslog-ng.conf
> ./contrib/aix-packaging/syslog-ng.conf
> ./contrib/fedora-packaging/syslog-ng.conf
>
> tho, none of them has @version keyword in the head, so syslog-ng is
> nagging for not being able to determine the configuration version.
>
> I'm running syslog-ng manually from the ./src specifing the
> configuration file from the command line (using -f).
>
> So the question is, where is the syslog-ng.conf for the 3.0.4 version
> (after doing ./configure .. and make) ?

It would typically reside in the etc directory of whatever you set to
--prefix to, or in the directory passed to --sysconfdir option (you
can check the config.log for this information). If you don't have
access to the config.log, you can verify with strace:

$ strace -f -e trace=open ./syslog-ng -s

This will show each and every file opened as part of exec()'ing
syslog-ng, and includes the full path to the syslog-ng configuration
file.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan
--