[syslog-ng] permission denied ater adding a file as source-driver

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Mar 4 19:58:14 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 02:59 +0100, gatfi sami wrote:
> Hi
>
> it is me again
>
> no one had answered my previous questions until now but i 'll never
> loose hope so here is another one
>

> I am killing my self to add a file as a source driver in syslog-ng
>
> repeat i installed 1.6.12-76.2  in open suse 11.0
>
> i used
>         source my_src {
>
>         #internal();
>
>          #file("/var/log/apache2/error_log");
>          #perm(0666);
>
>          #unix-dgram("/dev/log"); see i tried alot of thing before i
>         asked you
>         file("/var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log");
>

>         };
> and here is the error
>

> Shutting down syslog services
> done
> Re-Starting syslog servicesError opening
> file /var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log for reading (Permission denied)
> Error initializing configuration, exiting.
>

> I also tried to change the file's permission
>
> by the way
>
> is this the best way to log mysql arror log to a syslog client

Well, you have to give permission to syslog-ng to read files you
instruct it to read. You probably have an AppArmor issue (which adds
further restrictions over standard UNIX rights). Try disabling apparmor
and see if syslog-ng is able to read the file. (or instruct AppArmor
that syslog-ng should be able to open it)

Also, 1.6.x's file source was rather limited, for instance it couldn't
remember the file position accross restarts.

2.1.x should be better in this regard.