[syslog-ng] syslog-ng roadmap for 2.1 & 2.2

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sun Jan 13 09:28:52 CET 2008

Hi,

I have published some details about our plans on syslog-ng 2.1 and 2.2
on my blog, please read this port for more details:

http://bazsi.blogspot.com/2008/01/syslog-ng-roadmap-21-22.html

As described there I'm going to open two syslog-ng OSE branches at about
the same time:

syslog-ng OSE 2.1:
  * destined to get the PE features that we decided to be open-sourced:
SQL destination
  * no real development process as most changes are already released in
the Premium Edition
  * once released, 2.0 is becoming a strict maintenance branch, nothing
but bugfixes

syslog-ng OSE 2.2:
  * developed in parallel with the PE version
  * the new features that we planned in the PE and we decided to
open-source right from the start will be released in this branch, these
are:
     * support for the new IETF syslog protocol
     * sequence numbering of messages
     * message parsing/rewriting

I hope to get syslog-ng 2.1 out of the door real soon now, the git
repository is already opened:

http://git.balabit.hu/?p=bazsi/syslog-ng-2.1.git;a=summary

I'm going to put together a "beta" release of syslog-ng OSE 2.1 in the
nearfuture.

I'm expecting syslog-ng 2.2 to be opened in the coming weeks, our plans
are to release syslog-ng PE 2.2 in Q1-Q2 2008.