[syslog-ng] Upgrade from 1.6.11 to 2.0.7: Gotchas?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sun Jan 13 09:10:07 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 08:03 -0600, Ivey, Chris wrote:
> Folks,
>         I need to upgrade my syslog-ng from 1.6.11 to 2.0.7 since we
> now are using devices with high resolution timestamps.  As I inherited
> these machines, and had not worked with syslog-ng prior to getting
> them, I was wondering if anyone could let me know if there were any
> gotchas for the upgrade.  Can I upgrade in place?  Do I need to make
> backups of any files?  Things of this nature.  Thanks, all!

You can upgrade in place, the 2.0 version is upward compatible with
1.6.x, however as it is a complete rewrite, I'd suggest you to run the
configuration file on a 2.0 first to see if it parses ok.

Once the configuration file is processed by the new version then most
probably it will work well.

You can upgrade in place as if you encounter problems you can always go
back to 1.6.x without pain.