[syslog-ng] valid HOSTNAME characters in syslog?

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Fri Aug 10 09:37:20 CEST 2007

Hi,

> Well, I am just a user of syslog-ng. When I was using
> it as a Relay, it was treating '@' a valid character
> in HOSTNAME field of syslog message. I have no issues
> with that! I just want to know which RFC states '@' a
> valid HOSTNAME character. RFC 3164 doesn't state but
> refers to one more RFC. I couldn't find the right info
> there.

You won't find such RFC. @ isn't a valid character in
hostnames, that's why syslog-ng uses it as a SEPARATOR
character.

Chained hostnames look like hostname1 at hostname@hostname3
It's quite readable and parseable and you can see the
full path the logs traversed. That's why it does exist.

regards,

Sandor