[syslog-ng] valid HOSTNAME characters in syslog?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Aug 10 12:53:05 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 16:17 -0700, dave wrote:
> Well, I am just a user of syslog-ng. When I was using
> it as a Relay, it was treating '@' a valid character
> in HOSTNAME field of syslog message. I have no issues
> with that! I just want to know which RFC states '@' a
> valid HOSTNAME character. RFC 3164 doesn't state but
> refers to one more RFC. I couldn't find the right info
> there.
>
> In summary, all I need to know is the Reference to RFC
> which states '@' can be valid hostname character. If
> possible, I would also like to see reference for valid
> character Set for HOSTNAME in syslog message.

syslog-ng predates RFC3164, and I don't know about any RFC that states
'@' should be ok in hostnames. AFAIK hostnames can only contain
[\-a-zA-Z0-9]

syslog-ng only checks hostnames if check_hostnames() is enabled,
otherwise everything till the first space is assumed to be a hostname.

The '@' character is accepted even by check_hostnames() because of
chain_hostnames(), exactly as Sandor explained.