[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng version 2.0.3 memory problems

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Apr 6 11:17:11 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 10:28 +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 12:49 -0400, James Long wrote:
> > That is the complete configuration file.  I just built the server last
> > week.  It is not in production yet, that is why the configuration file
> > is so small.  Only my desktop is sending log messages to it, so traffic
> > is minimal.  When I remove the internal section; the program behaves as
> > I would expect.
>
> and how much internal messages do you have? hmm... there was a change in
> the allocation of internal messages, let me see the code...

hmm.. I tried your configuration but I could not reproduce any kind of
leaks.

the glib error message that you posted in your first message, triggers
an abort() call, thus syslog-ng will create a core file in this case,
_if_ dumping core files is enabled.

Please enable core dumps using "ulimit -c unlimited". Make sure
syslog-ng indeed generates a core file if it is sent a SIGQUIT signal.
Then, please reproduce the problem, this should result in a core file
being written to syslog-ng's working directory.

Once you have the core file, I'd need some help analyzing it, as it'll
probably be very large (about 2GB in size), please issue the following
commands:

strings <core> | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr

and send me the result.

Thanks in advance.