[syslog-ng] EventViewer to SysLog - looking for opinions

Tom Valdes tom.valdes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 21:34:34 CEST 2006

Since starting this thread, I've gotten Snare to work.. It's very nice since
I can decide what type of message (Informational, Error, etc) I want to get
sent.  It is also open source and actively being worked on.

To answer your question, I'm not seeing the hostnames because the machines
are not on the same network.. See the message below which I posted yesterday
with a different topic.

I have some machines behind a firewall VLAN of 10.0.240.0 sending logs to a
Linux Syslog server on the 10.0.230.0 network.
The 2 machines are 10.0.240.71 and 10.0.240.72 and the Syslog server is
10.0.230.222.
They are Windows and I am using the Eventlog to Syslog utility from Purdue
University (
https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Resources/Documents/UNIX/evtsys) to
convert the Windows event logs to Syslog.

Syslog is getting the information, however, any information from the 2
machines are coming in as 10.0.230.1.
-------
Sep 28 11:37:54 10.0.230.1 Service Control ....... <---- This machine is
actually 10.0.240.71