[syslog-ng] EventViewer to SysLog - looking for opinions

Justin Randall jrandall at comwave.net
Fri Sep 29 21:19:03 CEST 2006

*       I first started with EvtSys and it worked pretty well but it
left out the hostname

*       so it was hard to make server specific swatch statements. I then
tried ntsyslog

*       which shared the same problem.

This shouldn't be a problem for Syslog-NG because you can have it do a
DNS lookup on the source IP address of a Syslog message to get the
hostname, and then use the $FULLHOST_FROM macro in your 'destination'
directive to log it to a file including the hostname.  Here's a link
that explains more regarding the macros you can use to refine log
handling:

http://www.balabit.com/products/syslog_ng/reference-2.0/syslog-ng.html/i
ndex.html#macros

If you don't have DNS in your internal network, you can simply make the
IP to hostname correlation in your /etc/hosts file.

I hope this helps,

Justin.

  _____