[syslog-ng] EventViewer to SysLog - looking for opinions

Tom Valdes tom.valdes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 19:05:45 CEST 2006

I recently started evaluating tools to convert Windows Event Viewer messages
to SysLog and I'm looking for opinions on the different ones and what to
look for.

I first started with EvtSys and it worked pretty well but it left out the
hostname so it was hard to make server specific swatch statements.
I then tried ntsyslog which shared the same problem.

I'm now trying Snare (thanks Kevin for the tip) and it looks a lot more
flexible as to what type of events get sent and it sends the hostname as
well.  When I first installed it, it worked fine and send messages.. After
fiddling with it, it stopped working correctly.  I'm going to start working
with it again, but I'd like to here what else people are using.

The 2 things the tool should have are:
be free and transmit the Hostname.

thanks,
tom