[syslog-ng] DNS and hosts

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 28 17:53:51 CEST 2006

that config is almost the same as mine, which means it's also reliant on
DNS. This is good in that is validates names instead of using names from
the logs, but bad in that it can stall or put entries with ip addresses
if it can't find the reverse dns record for the ip of the sending machine.

The 2 main questions still remain:

Does syslog-ng use nsswitch for dns processing, will a hosts file stop
it from doing dns queries or does syslog-ng bypass this and do dns
queries anyway?

Is there a way to tell it to use the name from dns or if unavailable
then keep the hostname from the log entry?

Hari Sekhon