[syslog-ng] DNS and hosts

Dukes Clayton Clayton.Dukes at HCAhealthcare.com
Thu Sep 28 17:30:30 CEST 2006

Hari,
This may help:

###################
# My config below
###################
options {
        long_hostnames(off);

        # doesn't actually help on Solaris, log(3) truncates at 1024
chars
        log_msg_size(8192);

        # buffer just a little for performance
        sync(1);

        # memory is cheap, buffer messages unable to write (like to
loghost)
        log_fifo_size(16384);

        # Hosts we don't want syslog from
        #bad_hostname("^(ctld.|cmd|tmd|last)$");

        # The time to wait before a dead connection is reestablished
(seconds)
        time_reopen(10);

        #Use DNS so that our good names are used, not hostnames
        use_dns(yes);
        dns_cache(yes);

        #Use the whole DNS name
        use_fqdn(no);

        keep_hostname(no);
        chain_hostnames(yes);

        #Read permission for everyone
        perm(0644);

        # The default action of syslog-ng 1.6.0 is to log a STATS line
        # to the file every 10 minutes.  That's pretty ugly after a
while.
        # Change it to every 12 hours so you get a nice daily update of
        # how many messages syslog-ng missed (0).
        stats(43200);
};