[syslog-ng] use syslog-ng to monitor just couple of processes

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 27 18:10:28 CEST 2006

?

You don't use syslog-ng in this way. For what you want to do you should
make your application output the information you want to the standard
syslog and use syslog-ng as your logger. Then use filters to extract the
messages you want the launch an external program to email them off to
you or something. That is what I did. A few lines of code, some regex
filtering with syslog-ng definitions is all it takes.

Now you have all the pointers, you can read the docs on filtering,
program(), etc.
Although it sounds like you don't have a good grasp of the whole logging
thing yet so my advice is to read all the syslog-ng docs and faq. They
are worth the read.

-h

Hari Sekhon