[syslog-ng] use syslog-ng to monitor just couple of processes

Tiger Peng nymnails at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 27 17:36:25 CEST 2006

       I have two questions about how to use the syslog-ng to monitor just couple of processes.
       In my case, I try to use some kind of utility to just monitor 4 to 8 different processes, some of them are system resource, but some of them are new developed processes. Here are my questions.

  1. can I start a seperate syslog-ng, I mean if I can keep syslogd running, but start another syslog-ng process to dedicate the service for my special purpose.

  2. I guess syslog-ng has some kind of filter which can filter the information, but how can I expand it ability to receive some specific information or more field, such as message ID. Is this configurable, or I must modify the source to support it.

      Thanks.

       David