[syslog-ng] logging of auth-priv

Bill Nash billn at bacchus.billn.net
Thu Jan 12 18:28:13 CET 2006

As a test case, I'd recommend adding a file destination so you can
interactively tail the file to test your delivery. Once you have that in
place, force authpriv traffic generation on your source hosts and verify
that it's arriving at your collector.

A la:
destination test { file("/tmp/foo"); };
log{ source(s_udpmessages); destination(test); };

If you don't see it arrive using a simple configuration like this,
supplement your diagnosis with `tcpdump udp port 514` and repeat traffic
generation. If you still don't see the packet arrive, repeat the tcpdump
step on the device sending the log entry, and verify that the syslogd is
sending it out.

If your collector has multiple network addresses/interfaces, verify that
syslog-ng is listening on the address you're expecting to see it on
(`netstat -plan | grep 514`)

Other things that could prevent delivery include network ACLs, iptables
firewall rules, and sunspots.

- billn