[syslog-ng] logging of auth-priv

Sandor Geller wildy at balabit.hu
Thu Jan 12 18:19:42 CET 2006

Peter Koinange wrote:

> I have just installed syslog-ng and am logging to a mysql database. I am
> trying to implement a centralized syslog system. Everything is working well
> except for auth-priv facility. I cannot seem to get to them sent to the
> centralized database.
>
> When l run test with logger on the remote computer get the following error
> logger: unknown facility name: auth-priv.

The name of the facility is authpriv, not auth-priv. Maybe you mistyped
the facility.

> however syslog on the remove computer has the entry
> # The authpriv file has restricted access.
> authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure
>  and is logging to the secure file with no problems
>
> when I add an entry for the remote compter to send the info
> authpriv.*                                              @host.me.com
>
> the logs do not show up. Can someone advise me on what to I can

Strange, this shouldn't happen. I suppose you reloaded/ restarted
syslogd on the remote machine. Can you show the captured network traffic
between the remote host and the host syslog-ng is running on?

--
Sandor Geller
wildy at balabit.hu