[syslog-ng] host$

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed May 25 19:12:09 CEST 2005

On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:26:59 -0000, Speedy Sweedy said:
> I am new to this list and new to syslog-ng so please forgive me if this
> question has been asked before.  I looked through the archive but didn't
> come across anything that helped me.
>
> I have syslog-ng working on my FC3 box with SELinux set at its highest
> setting(wow that was fun!) but it logs the IP address of the remote host
> instead of the hostname.  I can't seem to get it to log anything different
> than the IP address of the box sending the log.  Here is my options in
> syslog-ng.conf:
>
> options {
>     sync (0);
>     time_reopen (10);
>     log_fifo_size (1000);
>     long_hostnames (off);
>     use_dns (no);
>     use_fqdn (no);
>     create_dirs (yes);
>     keep_hostname (yes);
> };
>
> what am I doing wrong?

Most likely, you have a borked syslog-ng.te that doesn't allow the syslog-ng
process to read /etc/nsswitch.conf or similar, breaking DNS lookups.

Grep through your logs and find any avc entries that reference syslog-ng.

(And BTW - FC4 is about to escape, I'd *strongly* recommend upgrading to it
if you're doing any SELinux work - the policy definitions have been worked
on a *lot*.  If you can't upgrade, at least get the updated SELinux RPMs (they
should work OK on the FC3 kernel)).