[syslog-ng] syslog-ng not starting

SheBang infosec at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:02:56 CEST 2005

I hate to state the obvious but this statement is way off: "Port 514
is not listening and I assume it because the syslog-ng service is not
starting." syslog-ng could be running and not configured to listen on
(TCP or UDP) port 514.

You need to see which syslog daemon is configured (as the other ppl on
this thread already said) then make sure it's running, the make sure
it's configured to listen on the port you want, then make sure no
packet filters are blocking your traffic to it.