[syslog-ng] syslog-ng not starting

Andrew Morris morrisa at telusplanet.net
Thu May 12 17:19:18 CEST 2005

In general the standard syslog service provided by the OS vendor needs
to be shutdown and disabled before syslog-ng may be used.  The reason is
that both of these tools use the same port number and whichever tool is
started first will lock down the port and not allow the other to start.

I don't work with SUSE, but I'm guessing the startup script may be found
under /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d/init.d.  You may also want to take a look
at http://www.syslog.org as they have a few howto/guides on replacing
your syslog service with replacements.