[syslog-ng] Re: syslog-ng not starting

Peter Daum gator_ml at yahoo.de
Thu May 12 13:19:00 CEST 2005

Rechtorik, Keith wrote:
> I am attempting to install syslog-ng on SUSE Linux and having issues
> starting the service. Port 514 is not listening and I assume it because the
> syslog-ng service is not starting. Does the syslog service start the
> syslog-ng service? If not how do I start the service?

Suse allows syslog and syslog-ng to be installed at the same time and uses
the same startup script ("/etc/init.d/syslog") and service name for both.
Which one is actually used is controlled by "/etc/sysconfig/syslog"
(set SYSLOG_DAEMON="syslog-ng").

If you start it by hand ("/etc/init.d/syslog start") and there is any
problem, you should see an error message.

Regards,
                   Peter Daum