[syslog-ng]Syslog-NG 1.6.6 memory leak when sending UDP logs

syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:45:22 -0500

--=_alternative 00512A9485256FB8_=

Let me understand this, you were seeing a leak when using a PERL script to
send UDP packets using
Net::RawIP    _to_ syslong_ng.

I am still experiencing clear leak behavior when using syslog-ng to send
spoffed UDP packets to other syslog-ng's.
The syslog-ng sender is leaking, the receiver is exhibitning normal
behavior.

syslog-ng-admin@lists.balabit.hu wrote on 03/02/2005 08:42:23 AM:

> CORRIGENDUM:
>
> > It looks very much like a leak. As I've heard last week from our
> > development team, they seem to have seen similar massive leaks when
> > using UDP spoofing. But I need to confirm that first. I'll let you
know
> > tomorrow or the latest by next Wednesday.
>
> Ok, I've checked back again with that developer and ...
>
> > The leak manifested itself when calling syslog() over a perl script or
> > something similar, I don't exactly remember. The gross and I/O
intesive

> Actually it was a bug in the Perl Module Net::RawIP. We needed
> specially crafted
> UDP packets for sending them to syslog-ng. So my barking is wrong
> here and I do
> _NOT_ see this memory leak. Sorry for the noise and happy debugging :).
>
> Regards,
> Roberto Nibali, ratz
> --

--=_alternative 00512A9485256FB8_=

a leak when using a PERL script to send UDP packets using </font>
when using syslog-ng to send spoffed UDP packets to other syslog-ng's.
receiver is exhibitning normal behavior.</font>
08:42:23 AM:<br>
&gt; CORRIGENDUM:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; It looks very much like a leak. As I've heard last week from
our<br>
&gt; &gt; development team, they seem to have seen similar massive leaks
when<br>
&gt; &gt; using UDP spoofing. But I need to confirm that first. I'll let
you know<br>
&gt; &gt; tomorrow or the latest by next Wednesday.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Ok, I've checked back again with that developer and ...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; The leak manifested itself when calling syslog() over a perl
script or<br>
&gt; &gt; something similar, I don't exactly remember. The gross and I/O
intesive<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Actually it was a bug in the Perl Module Net::RawIP. We needed <br>
&gt; specially crafted<br>
&gt; UDP packets for sending them to syslog-ng. So my barking is wrong
&gt; here and I do<br>
&gt; _NOT_ see this memory leak. Sorry for the noise and happy debugging
:).<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt; Roberto Nibali, ratz<br>
&gt; -- <br>
&gt; addr://Rathausgasse 31, CH-5001 Aarau &nbsp;tel://++41 62 823 9355<br>
&gt; http://www.terreactive.com &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
fax://++41 62 823 9356<br>
&gt; terreActive AG &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Wir sichern Ihren Erfolg<br>
&gt; syslog-ng maillist &nbsp;- &nbsp;syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu<br>