[syslog-ng]FAQ seeding

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:36:10 +0100

hi,

Could you post some clarification on syslog-ng 1.9 as FAQ entries?

Thanks in advance.

Q: As it seems syslog-ng 1.9.x requires GTK which my platform does not
support. Is it really the future of the product?

A: No, syslog-ng does not require GTK, nor Gnome. It only depends on
GLib, the low-level parts of GTK/Gnome. GLib on its own does not
provide/require GUI functionality, it only contains general C utility
functions which implement the most important data structures like
hashtables, lists and the like. GLib itself is very portable, it works
flawlessly on various Linux distributions, BSDs and commercial UNIX
versions (Solaris, HP-UX for sure) as well.

Q: Syslog-ng 1.9.x requires glib and eventlog which reside in /usr, thus
cannot be used on systems where /usr is mounted during boot time, after
syslog-ng starts.

A: The latest snapshots (and future releases) of syslog-ng 1.9 links to
GLib and EventLog statically, thus it will not require those libraries
to be present at boot time.

Q: I miss this/that very important feature from syslog-ng 1.9 while it
was present in syslog-ng 1.6.

A: syslog-ng 1.9 is a complete reimplementation of syslog-ng and even
though I plan to make it upward compatible with syslog-ng 1.6, I might
have forgotten something. So please post to the mailing list either if
you find missing or incompatible features.