[syslog-ng]re-inserting syslog messages for testing

Nate Campi syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:08:55 -0800

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 08:54:21PM -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
> I've written a perl script that takes as input a file with syslog
> messages in it, and re-sends them into syslog on the current host.
> I use this for test environments, especially when I'm testing things
> with logsurfer and have a known logfile that should generate certain
> results when parsed by logsurfer.
>
> Are there any other tools that do this?  If not, I'll release mine
> after cleaning it up a bit, but there's no point in adding more cruft
> to the world if Someone Else has done a better job.

The standard logger tool takes a file argument, if your tool adds extra
functionality please share it. I'm going to radically revamp all my
syslog stuff on my site soon and any extra tools to list will be good.
--
Nate

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in't." - William
Shakespeare, Hamlet