[syslog-ng] FC4 as Syslog-NG Server (to MySql)

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Wed Dec 28 21:52:07 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 08:53:08PM +0000, Vadim Pushkin wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I am trying to get syslog-ng running as a centralized server, with data
> going to a mysql db.  So far I've:
>
> 1. Installed mysql and have sucessfully created a db named syslogng.
> (confirmed with a show databases; and show tables;)
>
> 2. I have created a FIFO file as /tmp/mysql.pipe.
> 3. Am running mysql in the following manner:
>                   mysql -u username --password=userpassword syslogng
> </tmp/mysql.pipe
>
> I do not think that I've properly configured my syslog-ng.conf file to
> redirect all output to the DB.  The FAQ, which has been very nice to me
> thus far, is somewhat confusing as to how to properly create the .conf file
> for usage this way.  All test writes never appear within my DB, confirmed
> by running "mysql> select * from logs;".

The FAQ doesn't really cover this, just links off to where other people
describe it on their websites.

The part you left out was the syslog-ng.conf destination with the
database insert statement. That's probably where things are going wrong.
--
Nate

"Crossposting isn't inherently evil, in the same sense that necrophilia
doesn't really hurt anybody. One wonders only whether it's appropriate
to the occasion." - Gordon, Rick