[syslog-ng]Syslog-ng & multiple "central" loghosts / HA environment

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:04:59 +0100

2004-02-20, p keltezéssel 05:46-kor Travis Kriza ezt írta:
> Hi everyone, have an interesting question.
>
> Let's say I have 2 hosts, both running syslog-ng.  These hosts also do
> a few other tasks and we want them to be highly available.  We also
> don't want them to miss any syslog messages they will be receiving from
> other hosts.
>
> The one thing I can see doing is on the hosts that it is possible, to
> have them send their information to both syslog hosts.  However, I
> don't think all the equipment supports this.  (For instance, I think
> some cisco equipment supports only 1 syslog host --- please correct me
> if I am wrong).
>
> The other option I thought of was using heartbeat like you would with
> LVS.  That way, you can share an ip and point all of the equipment to
> that ip.
>
> However, what I am trying to figure out, especially with this secondary
> scenario, is how do you get syslog-ng to report to the other host (for
> the duplicate/backup) without having syslog-ng push the messages to
> both of the syslog hosts "regular" ip's and, in doing so, prevent log
> messages from duplicating exponentially?

I think a third idea to consider is using multicasting, and have both
syslog-ng box listen to the same multicast group and equipment to send
its messages to the multicast IP.

Although syslog-ng does not support this at the moment, I don't think it
would be that difficult to implement.