[syslog-ng]Syslog-ng & multiple "central" loghosts / HA environment

Travis Kriza syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:46:36 -0600

Hi everyone, have an interesting question.

Let's say I have 2 hosts, both running syslog-ng.  These hosts also do
a few other tasks and we want them to be highly available.  We also
don't want them to miss any syslog messages they will be receiving from
other hosts.

The one thing I can see doing is on the hosts that it is possible, to
have them send their information to both syslog hosts.  However, I
don't think all the equipment supports this.  (For instance, I think
some cisco equipment supports only 1 syslog host --- please correct me
if I am wrong).

The other option I thought of was using heartbeat like you would with
LVS.  That way, you can share an ip and point all of the equipment to
that ip.

However, what I am trying to figure out, especially with this secondary
scenario, is how do you get syslog-ng to report to the other host (for
the duplicate/backup) without having syslog-ng push the messages to
both of the syslog hosts "regular" ip's and, in doing so, prevent log
messages from duplicating exponentially?

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Travis