[syslog-ng]syslog-ng - crond

Ted_Rule@flextech.co.uk Ted_Rule@flextech.co.uk
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:53:02 +0000

There is probably another caveat/clarification which should be added here....

On old glibc systems, which don't fix the issue for EITHER unix-dgram or
unix-stream sockets,
my partial fix has been to ensure keepalive(yes) on /dev/log and use unix-stream
sockets instead
of syslogd's default unix-dgram.

This ensures the problem doesn't occur on a SIGHUP, only on a complete restart
of syslog-ng which
is fortunately very rare.

By reverting to unix-dgram, on old glibc machines, the issue will resurface for
both SIGHUP and restart
of syslog-ng I believe as syslog-ng closes all unix-dgram on SIGHUP, so any
update to FAQ et al needs
to make clear that this fix should only be applied on glibc >2.2.? For glibc <
2.2 one probably has to revert
 to unix-stream and nasty kludges to the boot scripts of various daemons such as
sendmail whose
parent process never cleans up the "orphaned" /dev/log connection.

Ted

Achim Gsell <achim@cybercity.ch> on 13/02/2003 14:25:44

Please respond to syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu