[syslog-ng]syslog-ng - crond

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:19:23 -0800

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 02:53:02PM +0000, Ted_Rule@flextech.co.uk wrote:

> There is probably another caveat/clarification which should be added
> here....
>
> On old glibc systems, which don't fix the issue for EITHER unix-dgram
> or unix-stream sockets, my partial fix has been to ensure
> keepalive(yes) on /dev/log and use unix-stream sockets instead of
> syslogd's default unix-dgram.
>
> This ensures the problem doesn't occur on a SIGHUP, only on a complete
> restart of syslog-ng which is fortunately very rare.
>
> By reverting to unix-dgram, on old glibc machines, the issue will
> resurface for both SIGHUP and restart of syslog-ng I believe as
> syslog-ng closes all unix-dgram on SIGHUP, so any update to FAQ et al
> needs to make clear that this fix should only be applied on glibc
> >2.2.? For glibc < 2.2 one probably has to revert to unix-stream and
> nasty kludges to the boot scripts of various daemons such as sendmail
> whose parent process never cleans up the "orphaned" /dev/log
> connection.

Allright, so what do we recommend for *restarting* syslog-ng? Modify the
init scripts to shut down cron and sendmail, then shut down syslog-ng,
start syslog-ng then start the other procs?

I've suffered total system meltdowns from cron processes piling up after
syslog-ng restarts. I know this is a real issue.
--
Nate Campi    http://www.campin.net