[syslog-ng]Modification to slowly start destination programs

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:38:59 -0800

Hmm, perl compiling the swatch script, which creates a sub-script that
really does the monitoring is really expensive compared to the simple
forking of processes. Based on this I'd say try using a shell wrapper
script that sleeps a random amount of time before launching swatch.
Granted your writes to that destination will block for the sleep period,
but at least your system won't thrash trying to lauch all those heavy
perl processes at once.

This might work for the short term, until you find a more elegant
solution.