[syslog-ng]syslog-ng log file rotation based on size

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 10:53:37 -0800

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 08:09:15AM -0800, Richard E. Perlotto II wrote:

> I really do not think that it is necessary to add this to a logging
> program.  There are other features that I would prefer to see before
> this.  There are a lot of other programs that already have this
> functionality for syslog-ng.  If you run these often enough you should
> not have your log size problem.

It's not mandatory in syslog-ng, I just want to discuss ways of
addressing the issue of file size. You'll notice I already gave
suggestions on perfectly good ways to manage the file sizes (complete
with a working example cfengine config).

It's simply that we already have a program that knows which logs are
used, is already running, and is written/maintained by a trusted author
(syslog-ng). Giving syslog-ng users a method to address this, when many
aren't in a position to write their own utilities, or address it on
their own, is a good thing. I see it as a matter of reducing complexity
for the user population, not for me personally.

Hmm, I fully expect this idea to be rejected for a good reason, the
bloat issue...but I wanted to see it discussed.
--
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
 -Mitch Ratliffe

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."  -Steve Wozniak