[syslog-ng]syslog-ng log file rotation based on size

Richard E. Perlotto II rperlott@cisco.com
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:13:37 -0800

Heh, did not mean to sound short.

You are correct in that, and what you gave was one good example.  I
would
like to see syslog-ng focused on what it's primary purpose is.  Which is
able to be a flexible logging mechanism that is much superior to regular
Syslog.  Bloat is only one reason to not have this functionality, but as
I said there is a lot of other functionality that would be good to have
before
we start looking at taking over the functionality of other programs as
well.

One thing I would really like to see is the capability to breakdown the
Syslog message itself into smaller chunks such that I do not have to
put it through yet another interrupter.  Although I would be concerned
with impacting the speed of the application then.

As an example, there are a lot of logging devices out there and the
content of those logs are not always consistent.  Before writing to
a database (or buffer file), I would like to make the logs a bit more
homogeneous for usefulness.  	For example, the differences between
what I get from the logs from Cisco devices verses Shorewall (IPTables).

There is a lot of extra information that is contained in each of those
logs.  Not all of it do I care about.  It would be really nice to be
able
to take certain specific pieces and only track those in a database.

The ability to write to a PGP encrypted file would be excellent.
Although
I am not sure how this would be best implemented.  The idea of built-in
SSL
is another that would be nice to have.  While stunnel works, it is only
one more tack-on that could break when you are expecting your logs to
arrive
somewhere.

I am sure that there are many other features that many of us would like
to see as well.

Richard