[syslog-ng]source socket keepalive patch suggestion

Ted_Rule@flextech.co.uk Ted_Rule@flextech.co.uk
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:19:47 +0100

Ah.. perhaps the light begins to clear.

I think I must have misinterpreted what the keep-alive option really does.

I had thought it avoided re-opening a listener on the same socket on SIGHUP.

>From your reply, I'm now assme that all it does is ensure that 'ephemeral'
connections
accept()'ed from a listener are left open across a SIGHUP even if the listener
is taken away.

Is this nearer the truth?

In which case , as you say, my patch is irrelevant to my real desire to avoid a
re-open of
any given listener ( of potentially any flavour ) across a SIGHUP, and the
about repairing the 'broken' glibc/syslog() call across a re-opened Unix DGRAM
socket
potentially provides an easier fix than a rewrite of syslog-ng.

And/or avoiding use of Unix DGRAM sockets at all on glibc platforms until such a
fix is in place.

Ted

This E-mail message, including any attachments, is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, any review, retransmission, disclosure,
copying, modification or other use of this E-mail message or attachments is
strictly forbidden.

If you have received this E-mail message in error, please contact the author and
delete the message and any attachments from your computer.

You are also advised that the views and opinions expressed in this E-mail
message and any attachments are the author's own, and may not reflect the views
and opinions of FLEXTECH Television Limited.