[syslog-ng]syslog-ng stops logging after one or two entries....

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:25:39 -0700

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:20:30AM -0700, Nate Campi wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:58:33AM -0500, Paul.Fiero@ci.austin.tx.us wrot=
e:
> > I am new to syslog stuff but here is my problem.  I have syslog-ng v1.5=
.21
> > running on a RedHat Linux server.  I have a Mandrake 9 workstation runn=
ing
> > plain ole syslogd.  The two boxes are talking to each other without a
> > problem but when a message is sent to the syslog-ng box it will log the
> > message once or twice but fails after that until syslog-ng and syslogd =
are
> > restarted on both boxes.  I am using this to log the status of an
> > application on several boxes to this one server about 30 times an hour =
(yes
> > it is huge overhead but is required for this application).  I need help=
 with
> > this ASAP.
>=20
> This is strange. I'd first start syslog-ng under strace and watch it for
> a while. Be aware that this will generate a lot of output, so redirect
> (STDERR included) output to a file on a slice/partition with lots of
> space. See what the heck it's doing when it stops logging. You should
> also note other things like the size of the process in memory, system
> load, available memory and disk space.

I see it is all better now, someone's mailer has a broken reply feature
and I thought that nobody had responded to you. Next time mention that
it is logging other messages, but not the ones from a single host.

Glad it's cleared up.
--=20
"Vampireware /n/, a project, capable of sucking the lifeblood out of
anyone unfortunate enough to be assigned to it, which never actually
sees the light of day, but nonetheless refuses to die."=20

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T

--U+BazGySraz5kW0T--