[syslog-ng]syslog-ng stops logging after one or two entries....

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:20:30 -0700

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:58:33AM -0500, Paul.Fiero@ci.austin.tx.us wrote:
> I am new to syslog stuff but here is my problem.  I have syslog-ng v1.5.21
> running on a RedHat Linux server.  I have a Mandrake 9 workstation running
> plain ole syslogd.  The two boxes are talking to each other without a
> problem but when a message is sent to the syslog-ng box it will log the
> message once or twice but fails after that until syslog-ng and syslogd are
> restarted on both boxes.  I am using this to log the status of an
> application on several boxes to this one server about 30 times an hour (y=
es
> it is huge overhead but is required for this application).  I need help w=
ith
> this ASAP.

This is strange. I'd first start syslog-ng under strace and watch it for
a while. Be aware that this will generate a lot of output, so redirect
(STDERR included) output to a file on a slice/partition with lots of
space. See what the heck it's doing when it stops logging. You should
also note other things like the size of the process in memory, system
load, available memory and disk space.

Report back to the list if you still need help after gathering info.
--=20
"Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?"  -Anon.

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb--