[syslog-ng]option use_dns & use_fqdn problem with syslog-ng tcp connection t o syslog-ng?

Russo, Ben Ben.Russo@tnsi.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:38:27 -0400

syslog-ng 1.5.18 with libol 0.3.3
on RedHat 7.3  i386

EXCERPTS FROM syslog-ng.conf

	options { long_hostnames (on);
          use_dns (yes);
          use_fqdn (yes);
          keep_hostname (no);
        };

	destination d_files {
file("/var/log/syslog-ng/$HOST/$FACILITY.$LEVEL"
                     template("$ISODATE $HOST $FACILITY $PRIORITY $PROCESS
$MSG\n"));
                   };

For network nodes using OLD syslog daeomons that send using UDP
(solaris, HP-UX, Linux etc...)
The $HOST value is the FQDN as defined in in DNS reverse lookup.

However if I have syslog-ng on a remote box and it
uses a TCP connection to my central syslog receiver
then the hostname is missing the domain?

I have lots of servers named "dns1"  or "www" so this
becomes a problem. Am I missing an option somewhere?

Thanks,
-Ben.