[syslog-ng]Re: syslog-ng / libol Solaris 8 and Sun CC

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:48:50 +0200

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 12:02:43PM -0500, Luc I. Suryo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are the sourecs based solley on GNU tools?

I've never had anything else than GNU tools.

> Compile give me some issue, can solve them be wondering, could you help
> me with these questions?
>
> 	1) -Wall -O2 in configure(in):  works only for GCC under CC one can/should use -O
> 	so why not a check against GCC and then set teh flags OR get it
> 	from the variable set? CC=cc CFLAGS="-.." ./configure?

it should get CFLAGS from the environment, if it doesn't it's a bug.

> 	2) alloca :  from the man pages:
> 		The alloca() function is machine-, compiler-, and most of
>         	all, system-dependent. Its use is strongly discouraged.
>
> 	any reason not using a diff call?

alloca allocates space on the stack, just like an automatic variable would.
of course malloc() can also be used, but then the allocated block must be
freed explicitly.

So it was used for simplicity, I didn't know it was not portable.

> 	3) utils / make_class(in) : need a defined (by location & found)
> 	of the variable _SCSH_, what is this variable?, the file/script
> 	is not a csh one so it has to be something else :), so what is
> 	this and do i need it?

it is scsh aka scheme shell, you only need this if you change the class
declarations. read the end of README where it is described what it is.

> 	4) not sure but don't you think syslog-ng should always be
> 	compiled against a static lib. instead of a shared? but that is no
> 	compile issue, more looking into securtity, just my 2c

it is linked statically against libol, but if you install libol first, it
can also link to it dynamically.

libc is linked dynamically.