[syslog-ng]remote logging problem syslog-ng logging between routable public networks (?)

Adam Tworkowski adam@dexagon.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:50:12 -0400

Hi,

I've searched high and low and I can't find the answer to the following
scenario:

I would like to be able to use a remote logging host across the internet (I
reckognize that security concerns of not using a VPN).  I *am* able to do
syslog-ng to syslog-ng remote logging on the same network segment.  There is
no issue here.   I cannot log across a LAN extension or across the internet
at large.   I've tried UDP and TCP.  I've even successfully sniffed packets
on the remote log server that were sent across the internet.   Is there an
issue with bridges, routers or ARP and syslog-ng?  As far as I can tell, the
only difference between the various hosts I am trying to log from is
geographic location and network location.  Same OS. Same versions, same
syslog-ng.conf.

I am using Debian 3.0 with  syslog-ng 1.5.18.

Thanks in advance.

Adam Tworkowski