[syslog-ng]remote logging problem syslog-ng logging between routable public networks (?)

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:21:51 -0700

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 04:50:12PM -0400, Adam Tworkowski wrote:

> I would like to be able to use a remote logging host across the internet (I
> reckognize that security concerns of not using a VPN).  I *am* able to do
> syslog-ng to syslog-ng remote logging on the same network segment.  There is
> no issue here.   I cannot log across a LAN extension or across the internet
> at large.   I've tried UDP and TCP.  I've even successfully sniffed packets
> on the remote log server that were sent across the internet.   Is there an
> issue with bridges, routers or ARP and syslog-ng?  As far as I can tell, the
> only difference between the various hosts I am trying to log from is
> geographic location and network location.  Same OS. Same versions, same
> syslog-ng.conf.

Your issues likely have to do with packet filtering between the two
hosts. You may have errors in your configuration, though, there's no way
for us to tell without more information.

Once you work out the connection issues, use stunnel to protect your
logging stream.
--
>From empirical experience, your Exchange admin needs to put down the
crack pipe and open a window to disperse the fumes.