[syslog-ng]Documentation/manual etc..

bretwatson@charteredsemi.com bretwatson@charteredsemi.com
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:10:09 +0800

--=_alternative 00325E2E48256AFF_=

Great,
looks like in the next week or so I should be able to get out a first
draft of teh manual.. The fun part will come with getting examples etc..

Cheers,

Bret

Balazs Scheidler <bazsi@balabit.hu>        09/11/2001 04:51
Sent by: syslog-ng-admin@lists.balabit.hu
Please respond to syslog-ng

To:     syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
cc:     (bcc: WATSON Bret/Mgr/CSM/ST Group)
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng]Documentation/manual etc..

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:09:44AM +0800, bretwatson@charteredsemi.com
wrote:
> Hi Baltasar,
> some questions on the options list....
>
> I've dug through the cfg-lex.l file and found it is looking for a bunch
of
> options - some of which exist int eh current docs.. so some questions:
>
> What does "Keep_hostname" do?

to not touch the hostname part of the received message, and leave it
intact.

> is "use_fqdn" the same as "long_hostnames"?

no, long_hostnames is an alias to chain_hostnames, the latter being the
preferred one. (this ambiguity caused me to change it)

use_fqdn means to use fully qualified domain names, otherwise the domain
is
chopped after the first '.' character in the hostname.

> What does "gc_threshold" do?

gc_threshold is the same as gc_busy_threshold

> What does "create_dir" do?

if macro expansion is used in destination filenames, directory references
non-existing directories can be made, if create_dir is true, those
directories are automatically created.

> and what about the following? are any enabled?
> localip, ip, localport, port, destport, owner, group, perm, dir_owner,
> dir_group, dir_perm, keep-alive, keep_alive, max-connections, mac,
> authentication, encrypt, required, allow, deny. compress

mac, authentication, encrypt and compress each accept one of triple as
argument: required, allow or deny, though none of these are currently
implemented.

All the other options are (or supposed to be ) working:

localip & localport:  specifies the source ip & port of a connection
(before
connection is made, useful if your box has several IPs)

ip means localip for sources

destport: specifies the destination port for destinations

owner, group, perm: file permission information for created files

dir_owner, dir_group, dir_perm: directory permission information for
created dirs

keep-alive, keep_alive: do not drop connections when the config is
reloaded

max-connections: how many concurrent connections are permitted at a time
PGP info: KeyID 9AF8D0A9 Fingerprint CD27 CFB0 802C 0944 9CFD 804E C82C
8EB1

--=_alternative 00325E2E48256AFF_=

&gt; Hi Baltasar,<br>
&gt; some questions on the options list....<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I've dug through the cfg-lex.l file and found it is looking for a bunch of <br>
&gt; options - some of which exist int eh current docs.. so some questions:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; What does &quot;Keep_hostname&quot; do?<br>
to not touch the hostname part of the received message, and leave it intact.<br>
&gt; is &quot;use_fqdn&quot; the same as &quot;long_hostnames&quot;?<br>
no, long_hostnames is an alias to chain_hostnames, the latter being the<br>
preferred one. (this ambiguity caused me to change it)<br>
use_fqdn means to use fully qualified domain names, otherwise the domain is<br>
chopped after the first '.' character in the hostname.<br>
&gt; What does &quot;gc_threshold&quot; do?<br>
gc_threshold is the same as gc_busy_threshold<br>
&gt; What does &quot;create_dir&quot; do?<br>
if macro expansion is used in destination filenames, directory references to<br>
non-existing directories can be made, if create_dir is true, those<br>
directories are automatically created.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; and what about the following? are any enabled?<br>
&gt; localip, ip, localport, port, destport, owner, group, perm, dir_owner, <br>
&gt; dir_group, dir_perm, keep-alive, keep_alive, max-connections, mac, <br>
&gt; authentication, encrypt, required, allow, deny. compress<br>
mac, authentication, encrypt and compress each accept one of triple as<br>
argument: required, allow or deny, though none of these are currently<br>
implemented.<br>
All the other options are (or supposed to be ) working:<br>
localip &amp; localport: &nbsp;specifies the source ip &amp; port of a connection (before<br>
connection is made, useful if your box has several IPs)<br>
ip means localip for sources<br>
destport: specifies the destination port for destinations<br>
owner, group, perm: file permission information for created files<br>
dir_owner, dir_group, dir_perm: directory permission information for created dirs<br>
keep-alive, keep_alive: do not drop connections when the config is reloaded<br>
max-connections: how many concurrent connections are permitted at a time<br>
-- <br>
Bazsi<br>
PGP info: KeyID 9AF8D0A9 Fingerprint CD27 CFB0 802C 0944 9CFD 804E C82C 8EB1<br>